Data Modeling Analyst – Energy Grid Modeling (Contractor – 3-9 months with possibility of extension)
Global Good is a collaborative effort between Bill Gates and Intellectual Ventures (IV) to tackle humanity's toughest problems through invention, focusing on developing countries. We work with governments, NGOs, and commercial partners around the world to conceive, develop, and deploy inventions that save lives.
You’ll be partnering with key personnel at Global Good and work closely with creative world-class business professionals, scientists and inventors at IV and the IV Lab to bring our ideas through innovation and into reality.
The Renewable Energy group seeks a data analyst who will be responsible for sourcing, analyzing, and organizing data sets related to renewable energy that will provide decision support for future energy grid design, operation, and facility siting. The focused data may include wind, solar, grid demand data, weather data, demographic indicators, planned and existing energy generation facility locations, and energy storage. Often times the data sets available for geographic areas of interest will be sparse or will be dispersed across multiple sources. In this case, the data analyst would be responsible for using models to reconstruct comprehensive data sets that could represent the actual dynamics.
Our team seeks individuals with demonstrated achievements and a passion for excellence. Our compensation package is in line with this commitment.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of a master’s degree, with PhD preferred, Statistics, computer engineering, applied mathematics, or a similar quantitative field of study. Strong scientific computer modeling background highly desired
- 2+ years related experience
- Strong capability to read & write code in a language like R, Mathmatica or Matlab as well as familiarity with Python, C/C++
- Experience in managing and organizing large scientific data sets is strongly preferred
- Experience working part of a software development team is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of renewable energy and electric grid modeling is a plus.
- Must be a clear and effective communicator
- Must be self-motivated and results-minded
- Must have strong analytical skills
- Collect, analyze and process large scale of wind, solar, weather, and energy demand data from various sources to support the modeling effort
- Conduct literature reviews, and write data-access proposals
- Generate input and validation data sets, assist in sensitivity analysis
- Assist in building data processing tools in Python, C/C++, Matlab, Mathematica, or R to support electric grid simulation.
- Run model sensitivity analysis to determine the impact of uncertain data sets
- Assist and lead the production of reports and presentations