Bellevue, Wa, Washington, United States
Date published: 07/21/17
- Working from a brief or outline to generate design ideas to present to editorial staff and authors including new cutting edge designs that maintain the MC vision.
- Place all final images in the layout files (InDesign) including sizing, working within a developed page budget and extent while following the MC Style Guide.
- Enters edits into layout files (InDesign) in tandem with typesetters.
- Resolves outstanding art or design issues with Art Director, editors, authors, marketing/PR and culinary team.
- Keeps the brand and branding materials up-to-date.
- Attends and participates in various department meetings; in tandem with the Art Director leads any meeting about design that drive the layout of the book.
- Works closely with Art Director, designers, photographers, and editors during book projects and provides art input for outlines, recipes, chapters, and general design content.
- Manages projects and outside vendors and contributors with regards to MC Style Guide and approves all material on brand for all MC editions including foreign languages.
- Works with Marketing/PR to provide design related answers for a wide range of projects including powerpoint presentations.
- Reviews book manuscripts in preparation for final design following the guidelines of the MC Style Guide in tandem with Art Director.
- Proofreads final page proofs in preparation for final book production including layout, photography and art errors.
- Apply and test new design concepts and techniques.
- Photography, art design and book production process, including work in a culinary environment
- Design programs including Indesign, Acrobat, Illustrator, Lightroom, and Photoshop CC
- Pre-press proofing for composition and overall design guidelines
- Finding image solutions for a variety of creative and technical problems
- Creative vision to achieve goals in a timely, productive, and fiscally responsible manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal with a broad range of interaction styles
- Effective communication skills; open to new ideas
- Highly motivated and able to maintain positive attitude in the face of challenges and deadline pressure
- The ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically across the team with strong written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills, negotiation skills and proficiency in creative problem-solving and decision-making.
- 2 - 5 years of full-time work experience as a designer working on complex full-color books or media
- Must have the ability to work under pressure with a strong record of meeting deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree required