Bellevue, Wa, Washington, United States
Date published: 07/17/17
- Conduct extensive review of scientific literature on book topic by drawing upon technical and popular sources, including journals, cookbooks, outside experts, conferences, short stages, etc.
- Collaborate with Head Chef and Founder to outline broad direction of experiments.
- Manage scientific experimentation in the kitchen and lab, including overseeing R&D chefs and research assistants on experiment design and set-up, execution, data acquisition. Personally handle data analysis in order to form conclusions that directly shape the message of the books.
- Manage communications with outside technical entities, related to sourcing of technical equipment and functional ingredients, academic experts, laboratories, etc.
- Interview and hire research assistants in consultation with the Head Chef. At any given time, mentor and guide 1-3 research assistants who primarily work on experimentation and data acquisition. Conduct monthly 1:1s to monitor progress and manage their integration into the team.
- Organize, report, and discuss results with Founder and editorial team regularly and often.
- Manage R&D schedule through clear communication with Culinary and Editorial Teams. Ensure on-time delivery of content or otherwise manage expectations.
- Contribute text and graphics to relevant parts of books.
- Contribute mock-ups, photography ideas, and other technical assistance to art department.
- Edit and answer queries on technical content throughout the books, related to experiments and otherwise.
- Review chapters at each pass to ensure overall scientific logic and consistency.
- Assist during special events at The Cooking Lab or elsewhere.
- Present on behalf of Modernist Cuisine at conferences.
- Understands the fundamentals of physical and life sciences.
- Understands biology and chemistry.
- Outlines experiments and sees them through to completion, understanding that chefs and not scientists will carry out most of these experiments.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively contribute to pre-determined and original experiments and research related to basic food R&D or product development projects.
- Exceptional breadth, creativity and inquisitive nature, natural drive and desire to learn and expand into new areas of food science and beyond.
- Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
- Self-motivated and independent working attitude, comfortable with uncertainty.
- Comfortable working in a culinary environment whilst providing technical knowledge to chefs during recipe research and development.
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 3 years’ experience; or equivalent experience.
- PhD preferred.
- Published research papers preferred.