Intellectual Ventures ("IV") is a privately-held, invention investment company based in Bellevue, Washington. Intellectual Ventures is the leader in the business of invention. Driven by the belief that invention sparks progress, Intellectual Ventures is committed to creating and sustaining a market for invention and being the leading invention partner for the world's most innovative companies and individuals. The company creates new inventions, invests in existing inventions and partners with individuals, universities and research labs worldwide to develop inventions. Intellectual Ventures provides companies access to these inventions through a variety of licensing and partnering programs.
The Global Good Fund (GGF) is currently recruiting for a health economist within the Global Health Technologies (GHT) Portfolio. Global Good (GG) is an evergreen invention development fund managed by Intellectual Ventures. GG’s charter is to solve challenging problems facing the developing world by using developed world invention, product development, and business development techniques. GG’s focus is on invention and proof of concept work and finding partners to take over commercialization and deployment of the product concepts. GG works very closely with The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (“BMGF”) Trust, and also with governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and commercial partners to target, conceive, develop and deploy inventions that improve and save lives.
The objective of the Global Health Technologies Economics Lead position will coordinate and/or conduct health economics evaluations related to projects of GGF/GHT, contribute to strategic assessments of disease and intervention areas of interest to GGF/GHT, and participate in the broader work of the Portfolio in adaption and evaluation of technologies in global health. This role has a particular focus on strategic assessment of the potential economic impact of technologies proposed or under development by GGF, the design of economics assessments within larger-scale product evaluations and demonstrations, and economics-based assessments to guide development of the strategic objectives of the Portfolio. The position will work with other groups within Global Good Fund, Intellectual Ventures Laboratory and external partners. The position will require an understanding of the factors influencing market uptake and impact of interventions on health outcomes in low-resourced health systems, modelling and evaluation of economic and financial costs of interventions on a national, health systems and community level, and of study design, statistical and economic analysis, and technical writing. It will also require a general knowledge of medical conditions and pathology in low-resource settings including clinic and health systems management. While primarily focused on low-resource settings, an understanding of the factors influencing economic outcomes of interventions in mid and high income health systems is important. The position will require limited national and international travel (<10%). Work will be performed under the direction and leadership of the Director, Global Health Technologies, and in close consultation with GHT technical leads.
Working within the Global Health Technologies team at The Global Good Fund and Intellectual Ventures Laboratory:
- Directly, or through coordination of partners, conduct analysis, support strategy development and development of business cases around products such as:
- Cost-benefits of screen and treat strategies for HPV detection in cervical pre-cancer, and the impact of new and emerging interventions
- Cost-benefits of provision of therapeutic oxygen in remote clinics,
- Assessment of the impact of triage based on severity-predictive biomarkers
- Economics assessment of methods to reduce indoor air pollution
- Other health economics assessments as mutually agreed with the supervisor.
- Work with other offices of GGF on product marketing plans and related areas
- Work with Global Good and partners to plan for product introduction and uptake
- Participate in other areas of priority for the Global Health Technologies portfolio and participate in wider project development and priority setting within Global Good
- Represent Global Good at international forums and with partners and collaborators
- Support other activities of Global Good on request of the Portfolio and GGF leadership
- International travel as needed is required
Key Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Post-graduate degree in health economics or a related field, with a background in low-resource settings strongly preferred
- 5 years of professional work experience in health economics of which some involves experience in analysis and reporting of health economics within low-resource countries
- Knowledge, contacts and experience related to public health research
- Understanding of clinical and laboratory needs and operations in low-resource settings
- Working knowledge of health product introduction
- Experience working with, and managing relationships with, major external partners in the health field
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Clear identification, evaluation and articulation of economic impact of predicted health product interventions
- Effective support for GHT team in priority setting and support for other public health priorities
- Strategic and programmatic relationships formed and maintained, including successful guidance and assessment of the work of external partners in the health economics assessment field
- High quality analysis and reporting of evaluations.
- Successful collaboration with co-workers with the Portfolios and GGF, and clear communication with IVL product development teams.
We are an equal opportunity employer