Research Scientist (Computational Modeling)
Bellevue, Wa, Washington, United States
Date published: 06-Sep-2018
- Reviews scientific literature to determine the state of knowledge underlying disease control strategies and to identify which aspects of biology, demography, geography, and climate are relevant to modeling alternative strategies.
- Builds new features for existing disease models; designs and implements new modeling methods.
- Works closely with the modelers, programmers, and statisticians on the team to refine disease models and use them to conduct sensitivity analyses, explore tradeoffs among possible interventions, and optimize burden reduction and eradication plans for time, cost, or other factors.
- Gathers, processes, and organizes necessary input data for the models. These data may take the form of surveys, maps or GPS coordinates, administrative data, hospital records, etc.
- Writes flexible, reusable software code to analyze raw model outputs and generate insightful summaries and visualizations of the results.
- Prepares research articles and conference presentations to communicate their results to the scientific community and to global health policy makers.
- Write summaries of his/her results to be used in policy recommendations, white papers, and scientific publications
- PhD in a quantitative field (e.g. Physics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Computational Biology)
- Proficiency in at least one data-analysis or scripting language (e.g. MATLAB, python, R)
- Knowledge of numerical analysis, dynamical systems, stochastic processes, or biostatistics.
- Familiarity with principles and techniques of computational modeling
- Ability to read and write research articles.
- Attention to detail and high standard for quality of work product
- Must be a clear and effective communicator
- Work extended hours to meet a deadline, and a demonstrated ability to work productively as part of a team.
- Experience analyzing large (TB-scale) datasets is a plus.
- Knowledge of issues of public health in developing world settings is a plus
- Experience working with a software development team or on collaborative software projects is a plus
- Must be highly self-motivated and results-oriented