Research Software Engineer, Contract
Bellevue, Wa, Washington, United States
Date published: 06/01/18
- Model the U.S. electric power infrastructure, generation, and demand in a comprehensive software platform.
- Build economic dispatch and unit commitment optimization engine for large size power systems.
- Define requirements for source data, techniques for validating intermediate and final results.
- Perform extensive research in renewable energy generation, transmission, distribution, and integration.
- Work with external research institutes and universities to understand their data sets and data visualization.
- Specify, design, and implement software for data access APIs and data visualization tools with high quality in accordance with given requirements and chosen design.
- Collect, analyze and process data to inform the modeling effort.
- Construct relational database from scratch and build visualization tools according to requirements.
- Conduct model sensitivity analysis to determine the impact of uncertain data sets.
- Build data processing tools in Python to support electric grid simulation.
- Conduct comprehensive renewable energy simulation studies.
- Produce reports and presentations as required.
- PhD degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a similar field of study and 3+ years software development OR Master’s degree and 5+ years of software development in electric power industry or similar industries.
- 2+ years of experience modeling, optimizing, and simulating large electric power systems.
- 4+ years of experience reading and writing code in Python.
- 2+ years of experience using statistical packages and standard libraries in R, Python, and
- Matlab to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Strong analytical, research and communication skills.
- Experience working effectively as a part of a software development team.
- Must be comfortable in a startup working environment.
- Database programming experience highly desired
- Multiple database (SQL Server, PostgreSQL) server experience highly desired
- Knowledge of renewable energy modeling strongly preferred.
- Experience with large geospatial data processing and visualization highly desired.
- Experience with data visualization highly desired.
- Strong scientific computer modeling background highly desired.