Intellectual Ventures ("IV") is a privately-held, invention investment company based in Bellevue, Washington. Intellectual Ventures is the leader in the business of invention. Driven by the belief that invention sparks progress, Intellectual Ventures is committed to creating and sustaining a market for invention and being the leading invention partner for the world's most innovative companies and individuals. The company creates new inventions, invests in existing inventions and partners with individuals, universities and research labs worldwide to develop inventions. Intellectual Ventures provides companies access to these inventions through a variety of licensing and partnering programs.
The successful candidate will have a passionate interest in everything to do with the nucleation and creation of technology startup companies. With a keen eye for startup opportunities, the candidate will preferably have already demonstrated a background in early stage startup company formation or will have worked in business or product development all the way from concept to commercialization. The successful candidate will have sound analytical skills, and will demonstrate a keen interest in quickly learning to navigate the complex nature of setting up a startup company. With day-to-day coaching at the outset, the successful candidate will be a fast-learner on the job that will require collaborating with cross-functional team members in finance, law and human resources and will help recruit and act as ambassador for the startup entrepreneur-in-residence (CEO) to ensure timely shepherding and completion of company formation from early formation documents to final spinout from Invention Science Fund. The ideal candidate will possess an engineering or science background but will also have a range of business, customer and investor experiences from past jobs that will allow the candidate to hit-the-ground running to be able to work in a fast-paced environment. A keen sense of ownership, drive, and scrappiness is a must, as is the ability to dive deep in the details. Some of the key requirements for this job include:
- Passion for startups –understanding of how startups operate and the unique characteristics of startup ecosystems and communities.
- A keen sense of curiosity, a good judge of opportunity and an ability to recruit entrepreneurs.
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects and ambiguity - work prioritization and planning.
- Must be able to make decisions with confidence and data, and demonstrate an ability to influence with conviction and build consensus.
- Ability to effectively work with a variety of organizations, management levels, cultures, and personalities.
- Ability to handle a high volume of engagements and at a fast pace. Needs to have a get-it-done attitude and not be afraid to take risk.
- High attention to detail.
- Self-starting, decisive, and professional. Can work without supervision.
- Ability to learn quickly, be creative and take initiative.
Education: Bachelors degree in science, engineering. Finance or business experience an advantage
Experience: 4 to 6 years of related experience in business development with startup companies
Travel: Some domestic and international travel required (30%)
We are an equal opportunity employer