As part of Intellectual Ventures' Global Good initiative, the Institute for Disease Modeling’s (IDM) mission is to guide global efforts towards the eradication and control of infectious disease through the use and promotion of quantitative analysis. IDM is a collaborative effort to simulate the eradication of infectious diseases using computer software. The IDM team is a highly dynamic organization with a work environment that is defined by innovation and collaboration. Our team is composed of research scientists and software professionals who focus on creating powerful and innovative disease modeling and data analysis tools to help researchers and policy makers understand diseases, their causes, the way they spread, and the best types of interventions to use for the particular situation faced. The IDM team architects advanced models of disease transmission, develops computational tools to inform global disease eradication policy, conducts analysis of epidemiologically- and policy-relevant data, and identifies critical knowledge gaps. As part of our work, we routinely collaborate with groups at the World Health Organization, the Center for Disease Control, PATH, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, ministries of health in the developing world, as well as universities and research institutes. IDM is committed to improving and saving lives in developing countries through the use of quantitative analysis.
The IDM Test Engineer will work on testing and developing the high-performance computing pipeline for infectious disease modeling. This pipeline includes a database layer for storing simulation data and configurations, a web service layer for creating and monitoring groups of simulations, and a web UI layer for letting scientists see the status and results of their modeling work. This position will focus more on the pipeline parts of this architecture, and less on the disease modeling specifics, although some of the disease model will be learned so that the tester can simulate user scenarios. This will require a combination of automated performance and load testing, automated web service testing, and a fair amount of manual testing. This position reports to the Software Test Manager – IDM.
- Work with the development team to create test plans and test cases within the required scope for a project
- Use analytical tools to plan stress and load testing on a webservice.
- Develop, document, and secure reusable test automation.
- Document test plans and execute manual test cases.
- Communicate test status and strategy to the development team and test team.
- Advocate for end-user functionality in triage and planning meetings.
- Demonstrate flexibility in collaborating with other members of the test team projects.
- Time management to deliver results by expected dates.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree or four years of work experience in a related field (computer science, mathematics, natural science)
- Must have 5 years of experience as a Software Test Professional (SDET, STE) with experience testing distributed applications (UI, service layer, database layer)
- Must be proficient and have demonstrated proficiency with:
- Web service automation tools such as SoapUI, Postman, JMeter, or equivalent.
- Automated test logging (NUnit, MSTest, JUnit, etc)
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate potentially complex issues to both development and senior management
- Must be able to operate both independently and within a team environment, be self-motivated and results-minded (be capable of managing own schedule)
- Experience configuring and consuming relational databases (Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience with a cloud computing solution, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Compute
- Experience with all phases of the software development lifecycle (SDLC): Design, Implementation, Testing, Maintenance.
- Experience logging, tracking, and regressing software defects (bugs)
- Experience with multiple development environments (Microsoft Visual Studio, Eclipse, JetBrains tools)
- Experience with multiple source code repositories (GitHub, Visual Studio Online, Mercurial)
- Prefer candidates possessing commercial experience implementing software solutions on Windows and Linux platforms
We are an equal opportunity employer